Hieu P. T. Nguyen received the B.S. degree in Physics from Vietnam National University in Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam (2005), the M.S. degree in Electronics Engineering from Ajou University, South Korea (2009), and the PhD. degree in Electrical Engineering from McGill University, Canada (2012). In September 2014, he joined the Electrical and Computer Engineering Department, New Jersey Institute of Technology. He has authored/co-authored 1 book chapter, 1 patent, 38 journal articles, and more than 60 conference presentations.
He is the founder and director of the molecular beam epitaxy facility at NJIT. His current research interests focus on developing high-performance nanophotonic devices using nanostructures and their applications in a variety of areas, including light emitting diodes, lasers, and solar cells, as well as in water-splitting, hydrogen generation, and carbon dioxide reduction. He aims to apply his research to develop highly efficient solid-state lighting, digital displays, electronic textiles, water purification systems, solar cells, as well as to devise storable and renewable source of clean energy.
- McGill University, PhD., 2012
- Ajou University, M.S., 2009
- Vietnam National University (HCMC), B.S., 2005
Editorial board: Journal of Materials Science ResearchSession co-chair: Annual World Congress of Smart Materials (2015)Reviewer: Nanotechnology, Optics Express, Optics Letters, Journal of Physics D: Applied Physics, Semiconductor Science and Technology, Applied Optics, Applied Physics Letters, ACS Books
• Semiconductor nanostructures for nanoelectronics and optoelectronics• Epitaxial growth and characterization of III-nitride nanostructures • III-V based materials and devices• Light emitting diodes, laser diodes, photodetectors• Solar fuels, solar cells
Q. Wang, H. P. T. Nguyen, S. Zhao, and Z. Mi, “Axial GaN nanowire-based light emitting diodes,” chapter in Wide band gap semiconductor nanowires for optical devices, edited by V. Consonni and G. Feuillet, Hermes Science Publishing, Published online on August 08, 2014
Refereed and Archival Journal Articles
- [J.1] G. Sun, R. Chen, Y. Ding, H. P. T. Nguyen, and Z. Mi, "InGaN/GaN dot-in-a-wire: Ultimate terahertz nanoemitters", Laser and Photonics Reviews 9 (2015) 105
- [J.2] H. P. T. Nguyen, M. Djavid, S. Woo, X. Liu, A. T. Connie, S. Sadaf, Q. Wang, G. Botton, I. Shih, and Z. Mi, “Engineering the Carrier Dynamics of InGaN Nanowire White Light-Emitting Diodes by Distributed p-AlGaN Electron Blocking Layers”, Nature Scientific Reports 5 (2015) 7744
- [J.3] K. H. Li, Q. Wang, H. P. T. Nguyen, S. Zhao, and Z. Mi, “Polarization-resolved electroluminescence study of InGaN/GaN dot-in-a-wire light-emitting diodes grown by molecular beam epitaxy”, Physics Status Solidi A doi: 10.1002/pssa.201431726
- [J.4] R. Wang, H. P. T. Nguyen, A. T. Connie, I. Shih, and Z. Mi, "Color-Tunable, Phosphor-Free InGaN Nanowire Light-Emitting Diode Arrays Monolithically Integrated on Silicon", Optics Express 22 (2014) A1768
- [J.5] A. F. Jason, H. P. T. Nguyen, Z. Mi; R. Leonelli, L. Stafford, "Improvement of the emission properties from InGaN/GaN dot-in-a-wire nanostructures after treatment in the flowing afterglow of a microwave N2 plasma", Nanotechnology 25 (2014) 435606
Before September 2014
- [J.6] Q. Wang, X. Liu, M. G. Kibria, H. P. T. Nguyen, S. Zhao, K. H. Li, Z. Mi, "P-type dopant incorporation and surface charge properties of catalyst-free GaN nanowires revealed micro-Raman scattering and X-ray photoelectron spectrocopy", Nanoscale 6 (2014) 9970
- [J.7] M. Djavid, H. P. T. Nguyen, S. Zhang, K. Cui, S. Fan, and Z. Mi, "Tunnel injection InGaN/GaN dot-in-a-wire white-light emitting diodes", Semiconductor Science and Technology 29 (2014) 085009
- [J.8] S. Zhang, A. T. Connie, D. A. Laleyan, H. P. T. Nguyen, Q. Wang, J. Song, I. Shih, and Z. Mi, "On the carrier injection efficiency and thermal properties of InGaN/GaN axial nanowire light emitting diodes", Journal of Quantum Electronics 50 (2014) 483.
- [J.9] M. G. Kibria, S. Zhao, F. A. Chowdhury, Q. Wang, H. P. T. Nguyen, M. L. Trudeau, H. Guo, and Z. Mi, "Ultrahigh efficiency spontaneous overall water splitting on p-type GaN nanowires", Nature Communications 5 (2014) 3825.
- [J.10] Z. Mi, H. P. T. Nguyen, M. Djavid, S. Zhang, A. T. Connie, S. M. Sadaf, Q. Wang, S. Zhao, and I. Shih, " High Power phosphor-free InGaN/GaN/AlGaN core-shell nanowire white light emitting diodes on Si substrates", ECS Transactions 61 (2014) 9.
- [J.11] Z. Mi, H. P. T. Nguyen, S. Zhang, A. T. Connie, Md. G. Kibria, Q. Wang, and I. Shih, "Phosphor-free InGaN/GaN/AlGaN core-shell dot-in-a-wire white light emitting diodes", SPIE Proceeding 9003 900306.
- [J.12] A. T. Connie, H. P. T. Nguyen, S. M. Sadaf, I. Shih, and Z. Mi, " Engineering the color rendering index of phosphor-free InGaN/(Al)GaN nanowire white light emitting diodes grown by molecular beam epitaxy", Journal of Vacuum Science & Technology B 32 (2014) 02C113.
- [J.13] H. P. T. Nguyen, Q. Wang, and Z. Mi, “Phosphor-free InGaN/GaN dot-in-a-wire white light emitting diodes on Cu substrates”, Journal of Electronic Materials 43 (2014) 868.
- [J.14] Y. Kamali, B. R. Walsh, J. Mooney, H. P. T. Nguyen, C. Brosseau, R. Leonelli, Z. Mi, and P. Kambhampat, " Spectral and spatial contributions to white light generation from InGaN/GaN dot-in-a-wire nanostructures", Journal of Applied Physics 114 (2013) 164305.
- [J.15] H. P. T. Nguyen, S. Zhang, A. Connie, Md. Kibria, Q. Wang, I. Shih, and Z. Mi, “Breaking the carrier injection bottleneck of phosphor-free nanowire white light emitting diodes”, Nano Letter 13 (2013) 5437.
- [J.16] M. G. Kibria, H. P. T. Nguyen, K. Cui, S. Zhao, D. Liu, H. Guo, M. L. Trudeau, S. Paradis, H. Abou-Rachid, and Z. Mi, “One-step overall water splitting under visible light using multi-band InGaN/GaN nanowire heterostructures”, ACS Nano 7 (2013) 7886.
- [J.17] B. AlOtaibi, H. P. T. Nguyen, S. Zhao, M. G. Kibria, S. Fan, and Z. Mi, "Highly Stable Photoelectrochemical Water Splitting and Hydrogen Generation Using a Double-Band InGaN/GaN Core/Shell Nanowire Photoanode", Nano Letters 13 (2013) 4356.
- [J.18] S. Zhang, Y. Li, S. Fathololoumi, H. P. T. Nguyen, Q. Wang, Z. Mi, Q. Li, and G. T. Wang, "On the efficiency droop of top-down etched InGaN/GaN nanorod light emitting diodes under optical pumping", AIP Advances 3 (2013) 082103.
- [J.19] Q. Wang, A. Connie, H. P. T. Nguyen, M. G. Kibria, S. Zhao, S. Sadaf, and Z. Mi, “High efficiency, spectrally pure 340 nm ultraviolet emission from AlxGa1-xN nanowire based light emitting diodes”, Nanotechnology 24 (2013) 345201.
- [J.20] S. Zhao, M. G. Kibria, Q. Wang, H. P. T. Nguyen, and Z. Mi, “Growth of large-scale vertically aligned GaN nanowire heterostructures with high uniformity on SiOx by catalyst-free molecular beam epitaxy”, Nanoscale 5 (2013) 5283.
- [J.21] H. P. T. Nguyen, M. Dajvid, and Z. Mi, “Nonradiative recombination mechanism in phosphor-free GaN-based nanowire white light emitting diodes and the effect of ammonium sulfide surface passivation”, ECS Transaction 53 (2013) 93
- [J.22] B. AlOtaibi, M. Harati, S. Fan, S. Zhao, H. P. T. Nguyen, M. G. Kibria, and Z. Mi, “High efficiency photoelectrochemical water splitting and hydrogen generation using GaN nanowire photoelectrode”, Nanotechnology 24 (2013) 175401.
- [J.23] Z. Mi, H. P. T. Nguyen, S. Zhang, K. Cui, and M. Djavid, “Molecular beam epitaxial growth and characterization of InGaN/GaN dot-in-a-wire nanoscale heterostructures: toward ultra-high efficiency phosphor-free white light emitting diodes”, Proc. SPIE, 8634 (2013) 86340B
- [J.24] J. Titus, H. P. T. Nguyen, Z. Mi, and A. G. U. Perera, “Optical phonon modes in InGaN/GaN dot-in-a-wire heterostructures grown by molecular beam epitaxy”, Applied Physics Letters, 102 (2013) 121901.
- [J.25] V. Cardin, L. I. Dion-Bertrand, P. Gregoire, H. P. T. Nguyen, M. Sakowicz, Z. Mi, C. Silva and R. Leonelli, “Recombination dynamics in InGaN/GaN nanowire heterostructures on Si(111)”, Nanotechnology, 24 (2013) 045702.
- [J.26] A. Shih, S. Fathololoumi, S. Zhao, B. L. Huy, H. P. T. Nguyen, I. Shih, Z. Mi, "Negative differential resistance in GaN/AlN heterostructure nanowires ", International Journal of Theoretical and Applied Nanotechnology, 1 (2012) 105
- [J.27] Q. Wang, H. P. T. Nguyen, K. Cui, and Z. Mi, "High efficiency ultraviolet emission from AlxGa1-xN core-shell nanowire heterostructures grown on Si(111) by molecular beam epitaxy", Applied Physics Letters, 101 (2012) 043115.
- [J.28] H. P. T. Nguyen, K. Cui, S. Zhang, M. Djavid and Z. Mi, "Controlling electron overflow in phosphor-free InGaN/GaN nanowire white-light-emitting diodes", Nano Letters, 12 (2012) 1317.
- [J.29] H. P. T. Nguyen, M. Djavid, Kai Cui and Z. Mi, "Temperature-dependent nonradiative recombination processes in GaN-based nanowire white-light-emitting diodes on silicon", Nanotechnology, 23 (2012) 194012.
- [J.30] H. P. T. Nguyen, S. Zhang, K. Cui and Z. Mi, "High efficiency InGaN/GaN dot-in-a-wire red light emitting diodes", IEEE Photonics Technology Letters, 24 (2012) 321.
- [J.31] S. Fathololoumi, H. P. T. Nguyen, and Z. Mi, "Self-organized In(Ga)N nanowire heterostructures and optoelectronic device applications", Nanoscience & Nanotechnology-Asia, 2 (2011) 123
- [J.32] H. P. T. Nguyen, K. Cui , S. Zhang, Saeed Fathololoumi and Z. Mi, "Full-color InGaN/GaN dot-in-a-wire light emitting diodes on silicon", Nanotechnology, 22 (2011) 445202.
- [J.33] H. P. T. Nguyen, S. Zhang, K. Cui, X. Han, S. Fathololoumi, M. Couillard, G. A. Botton, and Z. Mi, "p-type modulation doped InGaN/GaN dot-in-a-wire white-light-emitting diodes monolithically grown on Si(111)", Nano Letters, 11 (2011) 1919.
- [J.34] H. P. T. Nguyen, S. Zhang, K. Cui, X. Han, and Z. Mi, "Molecular beam epitaxial growth, fabrication, and characterization of high efficiency InGaN/GaN dot-in-a-wire white light emitting diodes on Si(111)", ECS Transactions, 35 (2011) 41
- [J.35] H. P. T. Nguyen, Y.-L Chang, I. Shih and Z. Mi, "InN p-i-n nanowire solar cells on Si", IEEE Journal of Selected Topics in Quantum Electronics: Nanowires, 17 (2011) 1062.
- [J.36] Z. Mi, H. P. T. Nguyen, K. Cui, X. Han, S. Zhang, and Y.-L. Chang, "Prospects and challenges of InN-based nanowire heterostructures and devices integrated on Si", Proc. SPIE 7847, 784702 (2010)
- [J.37] H. P. T. Nguyen, K. H. Kim, H. Lim, and J. J. Lee, "Characteristics of high efficiency InGaP∕InGaAs double junction solar cells grown on GaAs substrates, AIP Conf. Proc., 1169 (2009) 149
- [J.38] E. S. Choi, H. M. Doan, H. P. T. Nguyen, S. Kim, H. Lim, F. Rotermund, and J. J. Lee, "Cathode-luminescence study of photonic crystal green InxGa1-xN/InyGa1-yN light emitting diodes", Journal of Crystal Growth, 311 (2009) 863.
Conference/Meeting Presentations (more than 65 presentations)
- [P.1] Z. Mi, H. P. T. Nguyen, and K. Cui, "High efficiency broadband semiconductor nanowire devices and methods of fabricating without foreign metal catalysis", US 2012/0205613