Dong Kyun Ko
Dr. Dong-Kyun Ko comes from MIT, where he held a joint postdoctoral appointment with Dr. Vladimir Bulovic’s and Dr. Moungi Bawendi’s labs in Electrical Engineering and Chemistry, respectively. He received his PhD in Materials Science and Engineering from University of Pennsylvania, advised by Dr. Christopher Murray. Dong-Kyun´s research focuses on energy materials and devices utilizing colloidal semiconductor nanocrystals (quantum dots). Specifically, he is interested in developing novel solar energy and waste heat harvesting devices by manipulating matter at the nanoscale. His research involves multidisciplinary approaches that span from physics, chemistry, and materials science to electrical engineering. He is the author and co-author of ~ 15 research articles, including Nano Letters, Advanced Materials, and Journal of American Chemical Society.
-PhD, Materials Science and Engineering, University of Pennsylvania (Advisor: Christopher Murray), 2011
-MS, Materials Science and Engineering, University of Pennsylvania, 2007
-BS, Materials Science and Engineering, Yonsei University (Seoul, Korea), 2005
-Postdoc, Electrical Engineering and Chemistry, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (Advisor: Vladimir Bulovic and Moungi Bawendi), 2011-2014
-Visiting Researcher, Molecular Foundry, Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory, 04~08/2009
-Colloidal semiconductor nanocrystal (quantum dot) synthesis
-Advanced semiconductor materials design: Multi-component nanocrystal solids, nanocomposites
-Fabrication and characterization of nanoelectronic devices
-Quantum dot solar cells
- D. -K. Ko; P. R. Brown; M. G. Bawendi; V. Bulovic, "p-i-n Heterojunction Solar Cells with a Colloidal Quantum-Dot Absorber Layer," Adv. Mater., 26, 4845-4850 (2014).
- K. M. McPeak; B. Opasanont; T. Shibata; D. -K. Ko; M. A. Becker; S. Chattopadhyay, H. P. Bui; T. P. Beebe; B. A. Bunker; C. B. Murray; J. B. Baxter, "Microreactor Chemical Bath Deposition of Laterally Graded Cd1-xZnxS Thin Films: A Route to High-Throughput Optimization for Photovoltaic Buffer Layers," Chem. Mat.,25, 297-306 (2013).
- J. -H. Choi; A. T. Fafarman; S. J. Oh; D. -K. Ko; D. K. Kim; D. T. Diroll; S. Muramoto; J. G. Gillen; C. B. Murray; C. R. Kagan, "Bandlike Transport in Strongly Coupled and Doped Quantum Dot Solids: A Route to High-Performance Thin-Film Electronics," Nano Lett., 12, 2631-2638 (2012).
- D. -K. Ko; Y. J. Kang; C. B. Murray, "Enhanced Thermopower via Carrier Energy Filtering in Solution-Processable Pt-Sb2Te3 Nanocomposites," Nano Lett., 11, 2841-2844 (2011).
- A. Dong; J. Chen; S. J. Oh; W. -K. Koh; F. Xiu; X. Ye; D. -K. Ko; K. L. Wang; C. R. Kagan; C. B. Murray, "Multiscale Periodic Assembly of Striped Nanocrystal Superlattice Films on a Liquid Surface," Nano Lett., 11, 841-846 (2011).
- Y. -W. Liu; D. -K. Ko; S. J. Oh; T. R. Gordon; V. Doan-Nguyen; T. Paik; Y. Kang; X. Ye; L. Jin; C R. Kagan; C. B. Murray, "Near-Infrared Absorption of Monodisperse Silver Telluride (Ag2Te) Nanocrystals and Photoconductive Response of Their Self-Assembled Superlattices," Chem. Mat., 23, 4657-4659 (2011).
- D. -K. Ko; C. B. Murray, "Probing the Fermi Energy Level and the Density of States Distribution in PbTe Nanocrystal (Quantum Dot) Solids by Temperature-Dependent Thermopower Measurements," ACS Nano, 5, 4810-4817 (2011).
- T. Paik; D. -K. Ko; T. R. Gordon; V. Doan-Nguyen; C. B. Murray, "Studies of Liquid Crystalline Self-Assembly of GdF3 Nanoplates by In-Plane, Out-of-Plane SAXS," ACS Nano, 5, 8322-8330 (2011).
- A. T. Fafarman; W. -K. Koh; B. T. Diroll; D. K. Kim; D. -K. Ko; S. J. Oh; X. Ye; V. Doan-Nguyen; M. R. Crump; D. C. Reifsnyder; C. B. Murray; C. R. Kagan, "Thiocyanate-Capped Nanocrystal Colloids: Vibrational Reporter of Surface Chemistry and Solution-Based Route to Enhanced Coupling in Nanocrystal Solids," J. Am. Chem. Soc., 133, 15753-15761 (2011).
- D. -K. Ko; J. J. Urban; C. B. Murray, "Carrier distribution and dynamics of nanocrystal solids doped with artificial atoms," Nano Lett., 10, 1842-1847 (2010).
- Y. Jung*; D. -K. Ko*; R. Agarwal, "Synthesis and Structural Characterization of Single-Crystalline Branched Nanowire Heterostructures," Nano Lett., 7, 264-268 (2007). * equally contributed
- S. -H. Lee; D. -K. Ko; Y. Jung; R. Agarwal, "Size-Dependent Phase Transition Memory Switching Behavior and Low Writing Currents in GeTe Nanowires," Appl. Phys. Lett., 89, 223116 (2006).
- Y. Jung; S. -H. Lee; D. -K. Ko; R. Agarwal, "Synthesis and Characterization of Ge2Sb2Te5 Nanowires with Memory Switching Effect," J. Am. Chem. Soc., 128, 14026-14027 (2006).
Conference Abstracts /Presentations (Selected)
- D. -K. Ko; S. K. Suh; C. M. Chuang; P. R. Brown; M. G. Bawendi; V. Bulović, MRS, Spring 2014, "Improving the Quantum Dot Solar Cell Performance using Metal Salt Treatment," oral
- D. -K. Ko; P. R. Brown; V. Bulović; M. G. Bawendi, MRS, Spring 2013, "p-i-n Heterojunction Quantum Dot Solar Cells," oral
- D. -K. Ko; G. Hwang; R. E. Correa; G. J. Supran; V. Bulović; M. G. Bawendi, MRS, Spring 2013, "Binary Nanoparticle Superlattices Formed From Highly Luminescent Core-Shell Quantum Dots and Their Photoluminescence Properties," poster
- C. B. Murray; D. -K. Ko; W. -K. Koh; D. Reifsnyder; Y. Kang; X. Ye; J. Chen, Abstracts of Papers of the American Chemical Society (239), March 21th 2010, "Chemical Design of Nanocrystal Assemblies for Energy Conversion"
- D. -K. Ko; C. B. Murray, MRS, Spring 2009, "Binary Nanocrystal Composite Solid for High Efficiency Thermoelectric Power Generation," oral
- D. -K. Ko; D. -H. Ha; C. B. Murray, MRS, Spring 2009, "Thermoelectric Power and Electronic Transport in Binary Nanocrystal Composite Solids," poster
- D. -K. Ko; C. B. Murray, APS, Spring 2009, Thermoelectric Materials & Phenomena, "Modular Assembly of Binary Nanocrystal Composite Solid for High Efficiency Thermoelectric Power Generation," oral
- D. -K. Ko; C. B. Murray, ACS, Fall 2008, Nanoscience: Characterization and Application, "Electronic Transport and Thermoelectric Power Generation in Nanocrystal Assemblies," poster
- D. -K. Ko; C. B. Murray, Gordon Research Conference, Chemistry of Electronic Material 2007, "Anomalous Solubility in Alloy Nanoparticles," poster