|Title:||Distinguished Professor, Asso. Chair for Research|
|Dept:||Electrical and Computer Engineering|
Nirwan Ansari received the B.S.E.E. (summa cum laude, gpa=4.00) from NJIT, Newark, in 1982, the M.S.E.E. from University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, in 1983, and the Ph.D. degree from Purdue University, West Lafayette, IN, in 1988, respectively.
He joined NJIT´s Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering as Assistant Professor in 1988, and has been Full Professor since 1997. He has also assumed various administrative positions including the NJIT Newark College of Engineering´s Associate Dean for Research and Graduate Studies. He visited the Department of Information Engineering of the Chinese University of Hong Kong during the 98/99 academic year, and Graduate School of Information Sciences, Tohoku University, Japan, in Fall 2006.
He authored with E.S.H. Hou Computational Intelligence for Optimization (1997), and edited with B. Yuhas Neural Networks in Telecommunications (1994), both published by Springer (formerly Kluwer Academic Publishers). His current research focuses on various aspects of broadband networks and multimedia communications. He has contributed over 300 technical papers, over one third in widely cited refereed journals/magazines.
He is a Senior Technical Editor of the IEEE Communications Magazine, and also serves on the Advisory Board and Editorial Board of five other journals. He has been serving the IEEE in various capacities such as Chair of the North Jersey Chapter of the IEEE Communications Society, Chair of the IEEE North Jersey Section, Member of the IEEE Region 1 Board of Governors, Chair of IEEE COMSOC Networking Technical Committee Cluster, Chair of IEEE COMSOC Technical Committee on Ad Hoc and Sensor Networks, and (TCP) Chair/Vice-Chair of numerous conferences/symposia/workshops. He has been frequently invited to deliver keynote addresses, distinguished lectures, tutorials, and talks. Some of his recent awards and recognitions include an IEEE Fellow (Communications Society), IEEE Leadership Award (2007, from Central Jersey/Princeton Section), the NJIT Excellence Teaching Award in Outstanding Professional Development (2008), IEEE MGA Leadership Award (2008), the NCE Excellence in Teaching Award (2009), and designation as an IEEE Communications Society Distinguished Lecturer.
- New Jersey Institute of Technology, B.S.E.E., 1982.
- University of Michigan, M.S.E.E., 1983.
- Purdue University, Ph.D., 1988.
- 2002 Spring: ECE636 Computer Networking Laboratory
- 2002 Spring: ECE639 Principles of Broadband ISDN and ATM
- 2002 Spring: ECE783 Computer Communication Networks
- 2002 Fall: ECE639 Principles of Broadband ISDN and ATM
- 2003 Spring: ECE789Advanced Topics in Broadband Networks
- 2004 Spring: ECE639 Principles of Broadband ISDN and ATM
- 2004 Fall: ECE639 Principles of Broadband Networks
- 2005 Spring: ECE789 Advanced Topics in Broadband Networks
- 2005 Fall: ECE683 Computer Network Design and Analysis
- 2006 Spring: ECE639 Principles of Broadband Networks
- 2007 Spring: ECE639 Principles of Broadband Networks
- 2007 Fall: ECE788-101 Advanced Topics in Broadband Networks
- 2008 Spring: ECE639 Principles of Broadband Networks
- 2008 Spring: ECE636 Computer Networking Laboratory
- 2008 Fall: ECE788-101 Advanced Topics in Broadband Networks
- ECE789 Nonlinear Optimization Techniques
- ECE609 Artificial Neural Networks
- ECE640 Digital Signal Processing
Professor Ansari´s current research focuses on various aspects of high speed networks and multimedia communications.
He has been publishing his research findings regularly (many of these findings will be impossible without the collaboration and assistance from students and colleagues).
- N. Ansari, A. Arulambalam and X. Chen, Method For Providing A Fair-Rate Allocation For Available Bit Rate Services, U.S. Patent Number 6052361, issued 04/18/2000
- Nirwan Ansari and Edwin S. H. Hou, Computational Intelligence for Optimization, Kluwer Academic Publishers, ISBN-0-7923-9838-6, 1997. Translanted into Chinese by Tsinghua University Press, ISDN 7-302-03635-7, 2000.